August 15, 2023
· We're looking for a Strategic Communications Manager
Educate Maine is a statewide nonprofit organization focused on championing career readiness by increasing the educational attainment of Maine people. Educate Maine advances education policies and practices that prepare Maine students to be the next generation of productive, engaged citizens. The organization administers four signature programs: Maine Teacher of the Year, Project>Login, Education Leaders Experience, and Maine Career Catalyst. In addition, Educate Maine facilitates policy, research, and data efforts focused on educational attainment in Maine. Educate Maine is also in the process of launching two new initiatives, a mobile education lab and the Maine Center for Teaching and Learning.
Join the Educate Maine Team if you are passionate about working for a nonprofit focused on improving outcomes for Maine students. Educate Maine invests resources to increase access, decrease barriers, and produce positive, measurable, equitable outcomes for Maine people.
The Strategic Communications Manager is a new position responsible for communications planning across the organization to meet key organization outcomes. This employee will report to the Development Director and will work collaboratively with program staff to execute high quality communications and public relations strategies. We are looking for someone who brings expertise in communication and public relations best practices to help tell our story to the public, the media, partners, and potential funders.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Consult with program staff to help lead and align programmatic communications strategies
- Develop and implement a communications plan for the organization in collaboration with the staff
- Create external multimedia content including newsletters, video production, photography, graphic design, annual fundraising campaign pieces, the annual report, social media, and community event coordination
- Work with the Development team on outreach and visibility for fundraising projects and high-profile events
- Establish and maintain relationships with event vendors and media representatives
- Lead efforts to produce and place media
- Support events by leading promotional and communication efforts and media outreach
- Cultivate relationships with communications staff at key coalitions and organizations including MaineSpark, Maine State Chamber of Commerce, ReadyNation, Right from the Start, FocusMaine, Maine Department of Education, and others
- Lead website redesign efforts in collaboration with leadership
- Track key metrics from events and communications efforts; identify lessons learned through evaluation findings and make recommendations for future efforts
- Attend networking and professional development events to cultivate relationships with industry, non-profit, and business partners at all levels
- Complete other special projects as assigned
- Minimum of three to five (3-5) years of related communications experience
- Excellent writing and editing skills required
- Knowledge of marketing, communications, and public relations best practices
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Strong event management skills and ability to work independently and as a team
- Strong computer, time management, and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with communications software like Canva, Loomly, Constant Contact, etc.
- A positive, results-oriented attitude to achieve program goals
- Ability to pitch to the media and build media relationships
- Knowledge of web design software, photo and video editing software, and graphic design skills
- Motivated, self-starter with proven ability to work in a team environment
- Commitment to the mission of the organization
- Ability to organize and direct multiple activities simultaneously
- Ability to travel regionally and nationally and have a valid driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but relevant experience is also considered
- Familiarity and experience with nonprofit fundraising and development
This position will require the candidate to commute to events throughout Maine and be available for in-person staff meetings in the Portland or Augusta area. Other day-to-day work can be done remotely. This position requires evening and weekend hours as needed.
The hiring range for this position is $55,000 - $60,000 per year. Benefits include a flexible work environment, 13 paid holidays, generous PTO, a competitive health insurance plan, including partial premium coverage for spouses and dependents, life insurance, short-term disability insurance, 5% employer retirement contributions, and annual professional development funding to support your professional growth. Employees may also elect dental and vision insurance.
If you interested in applying for the position, please provide a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Strategic Communications Manager in the subject line. Position will remain open until filled.
< Back To News